Tuesday, January 24, 2006

People who type too much

It is not in human's nature to admit one's own flaws. Same with me. Being a slow typer I came to actually appreciate the fact that I have more time to think on a programming problem, or an email. And that I have to express my ideas in a terse form, is a virtue in my eyes. In fact, just recently I was working on changing a bit of twisted and complicated code.

This code deals with localization. Like every other piece of functionality that can be characterized by some likeness of its features, it's a "service". Deployed on its own cluster, and stuff... Like almost everything at this place I'm at. So, this bit is supposed to do the following: accept a Collection of keys, and produce a Map of these keys to Collections of messages. Each message is a tuple, it has some index and the message itself. This way, for any given object there are several localized messages of particular kind. Should I have been amazed? Probably not, I've worked for over a year here. This service is NEVER asked to give translation for more that one object at a time! Now, please realize that all these calls are remote and try figuring how much serialization overhead this over-engineered solution imposes. But forget that, serialization is performed by machines, after all. While I appreciate when I'm being surprised, to spend so much of my time getting down to the core of the matter is sad.

I think constructions like these are direct result of some programmers being excellent typists. Thank chance we are not being paid by the line of code, how much worse would it be then?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home