Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Moto v400 unlocked for J2ME development

Now, since I moved to non-GSM carrier, I wonder whether I should put my prior phone up for sale... It's in a good condition, I can throw in a USB cable and I could collect a document describing which software should be used to access the filesystem on that phone. But why bother? Even the fact that I unlocked my phone to allow uploading Java (J2ME) Midlets via same cable woluld not, IMO, be a feature to attract somebody. Those who need their phones unlocked for the same purpose are better served by a local shop. These shops rarely advertise anything beyond "GSM phone unlocking" or "address book transfer", but in fact they can also change the firmware on your phone (turn v400 into v500, for instance, albeit w/o Bluetooth), and as well they can enable features that are otherwise disabled. As an aside, I always wondered what would happen if one were to unlock Java VM on a BREW phone.

Yeah, I'll just keep this phone. Maybe one day (hopefully soon enough) I would use this phone for what I intended initially, J2ME development. Never gotten farther that making two prototype Midlets one of which would load an imge from the network for a spash screen, and the other would move a smaller image on a background made up of bigger image. I really need to justify why I purchased it in the first place :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home