Friday, March 17, 2006

Got my spare time assigned.... (J2ME)

So, I allowed myself to be dragged (kicking and screaming? no, not really) into a small but hopefully useful project. It will take a couple of weeks, I hope, to make mobile version of "Word Matching Game" available to users of site of my good friend.

Initially, I sketched out a full-blown app, with the following online features:
- account registration
- lesson selection
- statistics management

(Small rant: how I wish J2ME integrated better with native browser on a phone. All of that could be much more easily delivered by a small set of xHTML pages instead... Oh well.)

But it became obvious that number of states and screens in such a small app grows disproportionately fast. I decided to approach the probem by simply wrapping the content in a simpler game version. This one will be "disposable" in the sense that for next selection of pair of languages and set of words, user will have to download a new game. Luckily, the size of compiled and obfuscated Java code is really small this way, so hopefully this will be a small inconvenience.

There will be other issues that I will have to tackle for the first time, namely, application delivery. I haven't looked around for free methods of doing so, yet. Short URL service? Sending SMS from server? Those all would be quite nice to have... We'll se how it goes.

2 Comments:

Blogger denka said...

I should mention that such speedy prototyping (2 evenings after work) would not have been possible without NetBeans 5 and its Mobility Pack. I probably have lost some productivity due to myself having to reboot into Solaris where I develop server-side part of the solution. Hope Mobility tools get ported to Solaris soon. After all, Mobility pack is already available for Linux, what's up with that?!

3/17/2006 4:47 PM  
Blogger Michael Gavry said...

Hehe, can you imagine how I am happy that Internet Polyglot's force of gravity has grown to the extent of grabbing such an independent flying by comet.

3/18/2006 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home