Saturday, February 28, 2009

I'm no audiofile

After having used my pair of Polk Audio RTi8 paired with Onkyo 606 reciever for close to 3 months, I decided to re-calibrate Audissey thingie. When I did it before, I did not bother to put the calibration microphone on a tripod, although I immediately recognized the purpose of a hole at the bottom of the mic assembly. Instead I (imagine that!!!) held it in my hand. The result of the calibration was so terrible, with low frequencies cranked up so much, the system sounded like underwater effect. So I thought using "direct" sound mode is my only option.

Armed with a wee bit of free time, I recalibrated today, but with a tripod this time. Not entirely sure if I positioned mic appropriately (I directed the peak with opening towards space in between speakers, although for multi-channel setup, I can imagine, it should be pointed directly upwards). But the result was nothing short of stunning.

Coldplay CD (that I hapenned to have in my DVD player) came to life, with well-balanced mid and low sections, at the same time, lows are still fairly robust, allowing to feel the tension of the big tom. Before, highs were so overpowering... I realize now that many negative reviews of Audissey EQ system may be caused by less than diligent calibration process.

Now let's see how the Led Zeppelin's Mothership takes off :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home